Saturday 18 March 2023

A Morning Pottering Around the Garden

I’ve had some dirty, mucky, muddy fun in the garden today! 


In front of the pampas grass, there is now a rather large flower border. Bigger than intended, but I decided whilst I was doing it that I really ought to make an effort, chop back the pampas, dig out the nettle and bramble roots, and give it a tidy up. So I did. And the bed is now huge. But it does mean that the husbando will have less lawn to mow, and fewer nettles to get stung by. Therefore, me making more flower beds is a GOOD THING.



It is around 5ft wide by maybe 15ft long, so a fairly big space. Easy digging too as we are on flood plain, so it's very loose and silty. It's also in part of the garden that will get most of the sun in the summer, so things should be very happy here.

I laid all the pots out where I wanted things, and then liberally scattered bulbs around, before planting them all by hand. Without my gloves on and without the dibber. Because I am a GARD'NER. 


This will be utterly glorious if it all grows and flowers. I have planted a mix of autumn, winter, spring, and summer bulbs and plants, and also sowed lots of seeds for summer flowers. Pretty much everything in here will now self seed and spread, which is what I want to happen. 

I’ve got a really good mix of things for different bee species, but also to feed the birds. There’s low growing plants, taller shrubbies that die back in the winter, and plants which will grow tall and gangly, and be great for butterflies. Oh I am excited.








 

The full list of what I have planted is:

·       Quince x1

·       Lemon balm x3

·       Catmint x1

·       Chives x1

·       Bleeding heart x2 (pink - need to get 2 white and 2 red now...)

·       Lupin x6

·       Gladioli corms x 88. EIGHTY EIGHT!

·       Big daffs

·       Tete a tete daffs

·       Muscari

·       Cowslip x2

·       Teasel plants x4

·       Sage x1

·       Verbena bon plants x4

·       Mountain cornflower x2 (poss 4 but I couldn’t divide them)

·       Erigeron x1

·       Liatris corms x8

·       Crocus x15

·       Scabiosa x1 but I suspect it is slightly dead, so we'll see

·       Musk mallow (I think) x3

·       Lambs ear x4

·       Pulmonaria x4

·       Sedum x2

 

And I also chucked a load of seed around too:

·       Chives

·       Chamomile

·       Scabious

·       Cornflower

·       Bergamot

·       Zinnia

·       Foglove

·       Poppy

·       Echinacea

·       Ox eye daisy

·       Verbena bon

·       Black knapweed

·       Sea holly

·       Calendula

 

And now I’m really excited and I want it all to BE GROWN UP NOW so I can see all the flowers and the colour and the bees and the butterflies and who knows what else. I have high hopes for this flower border!!

I have also, of course, decided that I need alliums in there too, maybe a load of white ones to complement the gladioli. But that might have to wait until the end of summer sale at Wilkos…