Friday 30 November 2018

Unemployment Beckons

 One of the joys of doing seasonal work is that at some point, you will be unemployed. Again. Last year I rushed into and forced myself to find a new job quickly, and I interviewed for a part time position but was offered and accepted a full time role at the same place. I ended up very ill very quickly, and quit after about five weeks – so I was unemployed again.


This year I am not forcing it or rushing. I have some money behind me so I can afford to be out of work for a month or so. I am very much looking forward to having some down time, and being able to truly relax.

I have a list of things I want to do whilst I am unemployed. I will be going back to my old weekly volunteering place. I will sort out the herb bed on my allotment. I will sort out all of my paperwork – and there’s a lot of that! I want to declutter, sort stuff out, clear stuff I no longer use, need, or want, and then hopefully my head will be clearer too.

The work I have been doing this year, and for the second half of last year, has been truly great and I’ve loved it so much, but I have been commuting nearly 127 miles a day, and spending a minimum of three hours in the car each day (most of that sat on the M42). I need to readdress my life/work balance (note I put ‘life’ first now; I used to write work/life), and I need to try and fix my back and foot as they have both suffered as a result of all the driving. I knew when I took the job that it would be a lot of commuting, a lot of money and time doing so, and I have been able to justify it for two seasons, but I just can’t do that for a third.

So I am unemployed again. I feel very much in control and I am going to keep busy. I have a lot of crochet to catch up on, some other craft things I want to do, and I have a lot of stuff to do on two allotments now. I am excited for what is to come; but I will be bored in about two weeks time…!

Here are a few pics I like that make me think happy things at this time of change :)