Sunday 2 December 2018

Crochet Blanket Inspiration: Temperature Blanket


I first introduced this blanket in a previous blog post which you can read here. So far I have done half of October and all of November; it is very green! 

I originally planned to separate each month with a row of black DC, but I tried it and it looked too harsh, so I swapped to a dark graphite grey instead so it is more muted, and it looks much better.

I have measured the blanket to get an idea of overall total length. I think my 30th year might be the time I start doing test tension swatches. Based on one months width (28cm), the total length will be around 3.4 metres – which is nearly twice the length of a standard double bed! – so I need to rethink this project. I so badly wanted it to be a beautiful, colourful, stripy, cosy clash of colours to represent the full year and its changing seasons, but it is not meant to be. I have instead decided to split it into two blankets, each covering six months. It is wide enough to hang over the edges of the bed easily.


I am also going to keep a tally of how many balls of yarn I use for each colour; I am useless at working out yardage or how much yarn a project really takes, so it will be interesting to see.

Lessons learnt so far:
-          Always do a tension swatch! (This will never happen, who am I kidding…)
-          Use a smaller hook! 4.5mm works up fast, but a 3.5mm would’ve made a smaller blanket with a tighter fabric.
-          Work out the colours properly. I have made two switches so far, and I think if I ever do a temperature blanket again I would change the order of colours. Some look a bit mish-mashed and not in proper sequence.

I am very much enjoying having a project that I can work one or two rows, and then put down. I get a crochet fix, it is up to date, and then I can go and do other things. It also doesn’t require as much concentration as Cosmic!


You can read about my other blankets too!