Tuesday 28 April 2020

Week Three of Furlough


It’s been a bad week.

Home Life
This week I’ve not slept well at all. The anxiety and insomnia have combined to be far more powerful than my nightly sedatives ever will be. I’ve slept funny and twinged my neck, and I’ve just not been sleeping well anyway. David has rigged up a blanket and a bed sheet to the curtain pole to act as a black-out blind and it is working thus far. Apparently he knows I've now had a good nights sleep because I was sleep talking either to or about someone called Maurice. Don’t ask.

David and I have been watching the Starlink satellites go over. The first few passes we saw were frankly, crap. I am hoping to see the string of pearls but it's not looking likely. I did however take this photo of the plough on my phone.



Allotment
It’s has been a non-allotment-dominant week this week. I’ve been quite grumpy, quite tired, and very anxious this week, and I’ve done a lot of big jobs on the plot recently. There is always loads more work to do but I haven’t had the motivation to do it. I want to get the pond done but I am still waiting for the liner to arrive. I have ordered some pond weed plants to put in which will help oxygenate the water but these won’t be dispatched until next month.

I have sorted out a couple of beds ready for mass courgette/pumpkin/butternut/spaghetti squash planting – these beds really just needed weeding and digging over but I am happy that I’ve done them.




Life
There is no sign of ending of the furlough, and I am not expecting to be back at work until mid-May at the earliest. I am getting paid about £200 more than I anticipated which is quite nice, as that relieves some of the stress of the past few weeks.

Crocheting is hit and miss. I have started a goldfinch amigurumi but need to finish it. The constant colour changes and swaps don’t make these patterns fun to work on so it is now taking me a week or more to finish each bird. I have made a couple more squares for the blanket but I think I need 36 in total and I currently have six. I have ordered more yarn to finish the battenberg granny square blanket, and I have also ordered some yarn to have a play with colours to start another new blanket.


I haven’t done any of the 30-day fitness challenges for a while now but I am intending to start doing that online PE with Joe Wicks thing on YouTube. David and I have been walking and I spend most of these walks taking photos of flowers.





Loofah Update
As of 24th April, I now have five seedlings appear from nine seeds. They are ever so slow to germinate and even slower to actually grow!! I hope I get all nine come up but I’m happy with five. Apparently they take up quite a lot of room to grow so maybe I don’t want more than five!