Thursday 7 May 2020

Week Four of Furlough


…has been better than the last! I have cheered up quite drastically since week three and I’m not actually sure why. The blanket rigging on the curtain pole is helping massively with sleep as it acts as a black out blind so I’ve been sleeping better. I am finding ways out of boredom now – last week I just didn’t want to do anything but this week I’ve picked up a hook and done some crochet, some painting, some gardening, and some hob-cleaning.

Home
It’s been nearly two months since we moved in and we’re so lucky we moved in when we did. I have enjoyed a couple of candle lit bubble baths in the evenings – I feel guilty about taking a bath in the day time – and our little living room is quite cosy with all of the blankets. I have discovered all seven seasons of New Girl on Netflix so I’ve been binge watching that. No shame.

I have a weekly catch up call with work and it’s become my only real marker of the passing time. I have bought some new mascara and have been putting it on every day even tho I’m not leaving the house. I am also trying to get dressed and actually put underwear on, but it seems like such a waste if I’m only sitting on the sofa all day. It just makes washing when there’s no need…

David suggested I get a new hobby (because I definitely don’t have enough already) so instead of getting a new one, I picked up an old one and painted this:

I have since taken off the masking tape at the edges

I still haven’t finished the crochet goldfinch, but I did order some yarn at payday so I am making good progress on edging all 182 of the granny squares I’d made. When they’re all edged I need to lay them all out and decide how I am going to sew them together to make the blanket.


I haven’t done any of the PE with Joe Wicks, I haven’t hula hooped, we’ve not gone for walks, and I’ve hardly been up the plot either. I feel like my face is filling out. My belly definitely is. We did nip around the corner to the bike shop and found a road verge FULL of cuckoo flower!
  

Orange tip butterfly landed on the cuckoo flower


Garden
The garden is picking up. Still very green but the mountain cornflower is out in nearly full bloom, the raised beds are filling up nicely, and the birds are still coming down. I’ve planted my giant strawberries in a hanging basket attached to the shed, I’ve put up solar powered fairy lights (I love them), and Davids parents gave us some colour changing solar lights on little poles which are now stuck into the ground. I have planted a couple of clematis, a honeysuckle, and some red hot poker plants. I now have a winter jasmine twig which will be planted in a couple of months when it has got established in the pot.


Honeysuckle and clematis

Mountain cornflower

My little veg corner

Wilkos hanging basket ft giant strawberry plants

The upstairs windowsill is now a growing space for sweetcorn and yellow courgettes – because I needed more courgette plants – and they’re growing well. I have five loofah and am not expecting anymore to pop up, but five is enough.

Loofah

Sweetcorn

 Allotment
The allotment is still there, still multicoloured. The tulips in the almond tree bed are amazing – I forgot I had planted black tulips - and the alliums are just starting to open. The red mason bees have capped off the first two tubes. I have finished the pond except for plants! It has been lined and filled, and has some decorative/functional pebbles artistically placed in and around it. The next step is to wait for the pond plants to arrive and get them in. They should arrive later this month. I have already seen sparrows coming down to the pond to bathe.

I rage-built this fence and I'm quite proud of it.

Sparra!

I have sown more salad crop seeds in the big purple bed so this is now full, and I have also constructed a massive sweet pea growing frame in one of the new beds. I planted three pumpkin (or squash, or courgette, I forget) and I need to plant more but I am waiting for them to get a bit bigger and more slug resilient.

Black tulips with an allium just starting to open

Red mason bee tube all full and capped off

Sweet pea towers