Tuesday 12 May 2020

Week Five of Furlough

I have now been on furlough leave for five weeks, and the UK has been in ‘lockdown’ for seven. The world has changed and doesn’t have a normal to go back to. I was speaking to David this week about what we miss the most since lockdown, and we decided that he prefers Pizza Hut over Dominos whereas I am the other way around. I do miss being able to just nip into shops to get stuff. Having a garden and an allotment has been my saviour these past few weeks, but now I am starting to run out of things to do. I find myself pacing things and jobs out so I have something to look forward to doing.


So what has week five brought?

Home Life
Home life is good. I have been feeling better and David has been grumpy. I think lockdown is affecting him more than he realises as he can no longer go into town to see his kids at work, or drop by their place for a drink after work. We also haven’t been able to go to our usual haunts for walking, and we haven’t been able to mooch in antiques shops for a while. We also decided that we are missing roast beef dinners from Ember Inn pubs. I am a bad vegetarian.

I bought two balls of yarn to finish the edging of my granny squares. I ran out of yarn with FOUR squares left out of 182. I am so annoyed. I didn't have 182 to edge but I think I edged around 60. I was leaving really long tails for sewing and clearly I was making them too long, but I have been burned by not leaving long enough tails for granny squares before so I was maybe over compensating. I don’t want to cut the tails off to use the yarn as I know I’ll need it. So, I need to order more yarn. It’s no biggy as I can use the grey for other projects so it won’t be a waste of a ball, but I just need to wait until payday again and then wait for delivery etc.


I bought some yarn to test out colour combinations to finally start a Sophies Universe blanket, I think I have settled on two colours which is not like me at all. I want to do something different and try something new. A lot of my blankets end up using a similar palette.

I have started a new painting but not done anything to it yet. I am great at visualising what I want to draw or paint, but not very good at getting that thought out of my brain and down my arm and out of the paint brush. I need to order more white paint.

Garden
The sunflowers are nearly big enough for planting out – I think another couple of weeks and then I’ll stick them in. Some are only just getting their true leaves. They are in pots in the sunny part of the garden and when I plant them, I think some will be quite shaded by the shrubs so I want them to get as many solar panels as they can before they go in.

Three types of sunflower + mint cuttings

The veg beds are ready for the second sowing of seeds. Something keeps going in the beds and rootling so I have lost a few leeks, beetroot and carrots. I have covered one of the beds in chicken wire but I need to get more Wilkos garden mesh to make an arched cloche type thing over the other beds, so that peas, beans & sunflowers can grow through the mesh, air & rain can get in, but squirrels and pigeons can’t.

The windowsill gardening is going great. I have a tray of sweetcorn, a tray with yellow courgette and yellow & white striped courgette, a row of sage (I have never grown sage from seed I am quite excited), and also a tray with pots of aubergine seed. I have never grown aubergine, Momma P usually does but as I no longer live there I wanted to have a go. They might end up in her polytunnel though as I don’t have one yet – it is still in the box in the shed.

Looooooooooooofaaaaaahhh

I have upgraded the strawberry hanging basket. I found a pot of saffron crocus bulbs so I have split them and put them in, and I have also put a mint plant in the middle still in its pot to hopefully contain it. I then put some pebbles over the top and around the strawbs. This is decorative, acts as a mulch, and should stop things digging. The strawb plants are already picking up and putting out fresh new leaves.


We also have a new hanging basket out the front from Davids poppa. It is full of flowers and should fill out nicely. If I remember to keep it watered.


I have separated a clump of ox-eye daisy at the allotment and brought it home to split again and plant in the garden. These will come up every year and be a good food source for wee beasties. The mountain cornflower is covered in flowers and I have seen butterflies coming to land on it. We had our first peacock butterflies this week – three of them! – and I have also seen a speckled wood in the garden. I think I also saw a green veined white but couldn’t get a good photo.



One of these robins was feeding the other


Allotment
The pond is done! I ordered some pond vegetation from Naturescape who we use at work. I ordered a dwarf white pond lily, and bunches of curly pondweed, hornwort, and common water crowfoot. I had to order two bunches of each of these but my pond is only big enough for one of each, so the other bunches when into Momma P’s pond on plot 4. The water lily has been planted in a pond basket lined with hessian, filled with aquatic compost, and topped with pebbles to try and keep the compost in the pot.


I also bought a load of wildflower seeds from Naturescape and have started some at home. I have started white & red clover, cowslip, heartease, and devilsbit scabious. I have direct sown red and white campion into the shrubbery beds. I am going to plant the plugs (when they are grown) around my new pond on the allotment to make a wildflower area. I am also going to put some under the plum tree where I have already started a wildflower area. I might also just chuck some seed down and see what comes up. I have a good crop of meadow vetchling under my apple tree which I never planted or sown, so I always leave that to grow up.

David has fixed the shed. Again. He’s so good! The side panels have been rotting quite spectacularly and this has allowed rodents to get in. I opened the shed this week and got a whiff of death so decided to empty and clean the shed to try and Find The Dead Thing™. I didn’t find anything, but my shed has now been emptied, sorted, swept, mopped, tidied, and things put away properly. It looks so good! You can actually get in it now! It was during this mass shed sort out that I discovered the new rat holes so I did my best to bodge a repair with planks of wood and bricks, but now David has replaced the bottom panel on both sides with decking board. I think I have decided to get a new shed next year. We had to replace the roof last year which was a big job and cost £150, and took three days to do, but now the sides are giving out and the floor is too, I think it’s just going to be worth getting a new shed and maybe increasing the height of the base to lift it more. I have had this shed for maybe eight years so it’s not done badly.




The bee houses are my favourite thing at this time of year; I could spend ages watching them come and go. I have had to put more metal mesh over both of the houses now as I have seen more and more woodpecker damage. Hopefully this should reduce or even stop it. The mason bees can get through the holes on this mesh but I have a feeling the leafcutter bees won’t be able too as they are chunky ladies. I may have to get more mesh, we’ll see. Some of the tubes are now fully capped off! Next years generation of red mason bees are ready to go.






It’s been a better week this week. We have ticked off lots of jobs on the allotment and I have enjoyed pottering around the garden in my pyjamas in the morning. I have potted up loads of mint cuttings from the allotment and I am going to leave them at the end of the driveway for the neighbours to take. I am very impatient and I want the garden to grow and be full of flowers already! I can see in my minds-eye what it is (hopefully) going to look like when all of the clematis come out, and the red hot pokers are up, and the honeysuckle and buddleia are covered in bees and butterflies…



 
 
We've been eating salad from the garden this week!! We've had two so far. I am going to plant more salad leaves as it is a long way to go to the allotment to pick salad.

I have splashed out on some solar lights and I LOVE THEM