Monday 18 May 2020

Week Six of Furlough


Week six has been a mixed bag. I had the news that my furlough leave has been extended by four weeks so my new return to work date is 1st July. There is a small chance that I will be brought back to work earlier, but I’d still be working from home doing admin and e-learning. I was going to start exercising this week so that I am ready to go back to work, but the news means that I have decided not to bother (there’s a surprise).

This week has been a busy one, much like all of them. I am kinda loving having TIME to do stuff! It feels like a very long period of annual leave with no end date. I have done lots of work at the allotment that I’ve wanted to get done for a year or so, and the plot is mostly ready to accept plants now. The plants I had put in have all been frosted so have gone, but I have more replacements growing on the windowsill.

So, week six:

Homelife
We’ve been having lots of healthy home cooked dinners because I am cooking them. I much prefer preparing something from scratch and using fresh veggies. I rarely/never buy microwave meals. We have had a few side salads with produce picked from the garden and the allotments which is very satisfying. I have harvested the first few radish but it is too early for carrots etc just yet. David has nearly perfected the sauce for spaghetti and meatballs.



I have done some more painting. I started this a couple of weeks ago but couldn’t decide what to do with it, but I had a thought one bed time about a mandala type thing with lines radiating out from the middle. That then turned into me drawing a load of circles with a compass – I was going to add lines but decided against it, and just filled in the lines instead. I quite like this one!


I invested in some JusRol pastry things and made a tray of cinnamon swirls and pain au chocolats. They didn’t last long.


David has found a new park for walking in which is less than ten minutes drive away and is HUGE. Also very hilly. The views were pretty good though.



This was AN ACTUAL TREE

I ordered more yarn to finish my crochet granny squares, so in the meantime I put them all away. The day that my new yarn order was dispatched, I found half a ball of the same yarn! So I have now finished edging all of the squares and they are ready for arranging and sewing together.


I have also been making bigger solid colour squares. I started this mainly as an anxiety thing to keep my fingers busy and my brain occupied with something simple. I need 36 squares to make a decent sized blanket, so I still have a long way to go. My tension is completely off – none of the squares are the same size! I think I might have to block these before I sew them.


This week I have also washed and freshened up all of my crochet blankets. I can get two in the machine at the same time, so it only took three loads to do them all.


Garden
I wrote a garden update blog last week, but I like writing about it here too. My next door neighbour gave me some wooden crates which I have painted up and lined. They are now filled and on the front driveway. One has been planted up with sunflowers, a tomato, a mint in a pot, cupid sweet peas, and trailing lobelia. I am going to sow some salad stuff in the gaps too – carrots, radish, beetroot etc. The other planter is currently empty but I have ordered some white strawberries and fresh herb plants so they may go in it.


Yes, they are the same colour as the car...

We have had to get rid of the bird feeding station as we have been getting visits from a ratty boy, and I think the neighbours have been blaming me. I am incredibly sad. I do like watching the birds and observing the pecking order of the bird feeders. The food has now gone to my allotment, and the feeder pole will be repurposed to house two hanging baskets instead. Maybe later in the year I’ll sneak up another feeder somewhere else. The good thing about this is that the squirrels and pigeons are no longer coming into the garden.

I keep tying in the sweet peas and clematis to try and get them to go vaguely where I want them to go. We still only have one huge clematis flower but I want more to open. I am impatient.


The windowsill garden is full so has now spilled onto the floor. I am growing aubergine, yellow courgette, yellow striped courgette, sage, sweetcorn, loofah, and now have more pots with butternut squash and green courgette in to replace those that have been lost. The loofah are starting to get their first tendrils!





Allotment
The pond is looking good. My allotment neighbours honey bees keep coming down for a drink – I have rescued one from the water. Apparently having bricks, wood, lily leaves, and pebble areas to safely land in to drink just isn’t enough.


The mason bees are busy, busy, busy! At last count, 15 tubes were capped off. I am wondering if I have two types of mason bee as some females are TINY, half the size (or less) of the others. It’s so hard to get a good look at them as they are so fast and also now behind two layers of anti-woodpecker mesh. I do love watching them come and go.



The first parsnip seeds are also coming up. I didn't have any at all last year so I am excited for these.