Sunday 5 March 2017

#geobritainroadtrip – Millook Haven

Text in blue opens in a new tab

I have been fortunate enough to bag me a man who not only (apparently) enjoys when I go off on one about rocks, but also a man who lets me book and plan a weekend away based on what rocks I can go and visit, and drag him along to look at too. Hurrah!

I visited Millook Haven as part of a three day break down to the seaside – this location has been on my geology bucket list for a very long time, and I attempted to visit it on day one of the geoliday (geology holiday, it’s a thing) but I chickened out with the 30% incline and strong winds. On day two however, I talked myself and the car into it, and in first gear we made our way down the single lane road to Millook.

There isn’t much to Millook, it only has a few buildings and the road quickly and sharply rises again on the otherside of the valley. The cliffs however, are spectacular. This section of cliff made it into the #100Geosites list by the Geological Society of London, and it is easy to see why! The folds are AMAZING. Recumbent, tightly folded, horizontal chevron folds. This place is a geological delight. Also, if sea-worn pebbles with hydrothermal veins are your thing, this is the place to bag some mega nice samples.


The rocks here were affected by the Variscan Orogeny, which is also responsible for the folded cliffs at Hartland Quay. 



David for scale