Sunday 23 June 2019

Allotment Life: May 2019


Some further projects have been completed this month! I have built new raised beds around the raspberries and wineberry bush, dug a new bed in a previously un-dug part of the plot and made a cage with turnips in it, and the trough planter in my compost bin was sown with flower seeds.

Cardboard weed suppressant


Pebble mulch / decoration / further weed suppressant

The square foot gardening bed has taken off and now needs clearing –the rocket and spinach has bolted and I have some weeds coming up (I think the compost was contaminated as it was all virgin compost but has the same weeds popping up everywhere).

The brassica bed is absolutely heaving and now I’m wondering if the cage is tall enough! I allowed around 1m height for growth but I am not sure if it is enough now. The leaves on the cabbages are HUGE!


I have pulled my first garlic and onion; I have left the rest so far to give them more time to swell but the onions are looking fab. I have been harvesting spring onions, lettuce, spinach, rocket and chives nearly every week.

Due to work commitments I haven’t spent much time up the plot recently as I have been far too tired. I did three days at Gardeners World Live as well as four normal volunteer days, and two corporate volunteer days so I am pooped.

rainbow radishes

new compost bin is filling up well