Monday 21 October 2019

A Wee Jaunt to the Isle of Wight; Part One


Aka, a week in the life of my new found love/addiction of white hot chocolate with ground cinnamon mixed in, with marshmallows, whippy cream, more cinnamon, and chocolate curls on top.


Day One:

David and I have finally been for our Joint Birthday Getaway! We had a whole week away, and we went to the Isle of Wight. I have never been before and we’ve wanted to go for a while. I was very excited as this involved going on a ferry, and for me that is quite a novelty. It rained all the way to Southampton and it rained all the way across the Solent – and we very much hoped that this wasn’t how the week was going to continue.



We couldn’t check into the accommodation until 2:30 so we just had a little drive around. We saw loads of old vintage buses.




The house was a self-catering, self-enclosed chalet/cottage/annexe/lodge on the owners driveway. It was also pink! It was very lovely and I booked it a) because pink and b) because it was one of not-very-many that had a long bath with a separate shower. I love long baths, and I book my holidays based on where I can soak in a bath. This is the page for the house.


I didn’t waste any time in getting comfortable. Pyjamas on, crochet out, cinnamon swirl ready, glass of Archers & lemonade on the go. I was very happy.



Day Two:

We decided to go for a carvery! I found a little place in the next town that had good reviews (thank you Google) and off we went. We were too early for food so we sat down for a beer – at about 11:15am. The carvery was beaut (yes I had beef and turkey) and we also had the biggest puddings known to man. Treat yo’self!


We were too stuffed to do much after this so we went back to the house. David went to sleep off his apple crumble, and I went for a mooch in the garden. I found lots of acorns with massive knopper galls on, and I also found a plum tree.



Summer fruits cordial with lemonade in a wine glass. Looks almost posh, dunnit.

Day Three:

We had to go shopping. David didn’t have a pair of waterproof trousers as he had lent them to someone but hadn’t got them back. We headed into Newport to trawl the outdoor shops, and unfortunately we fell into Waterstones so he could buy a book as he didn’t bring one of them either. This means that I also bought two new books – and my first christmas present for someone – and I have possibly now got a billion more books that I want to buy on my list.

All of these please, santa.

On the way back to the car we found a little café to get some lunch. David had massive ploughmans with a side order of spinach (seriously people, salad =/= spinach). I had a milkshake in a milk bottle.



In the afternoon we headed up towards the needles. This is one of the Geological Societys 100 Geosites and I wanted to see them. They were not impressive. Also it was hard to see them due to the weather. But ya know, it’s another one ticked off the list. The ‘attraction’ at the needles was beyond crap (who in their right mind would spend more than 10 minutes here? We sure didn’t). Took us longer to get suited & booted in waterproofs and woollens!




We then drove for a bit and went for a brisk windy walk down onto Compton Bay Beach. The tide was in so there wasn’t much beach. It was also raining and very windy, but I did find a pebble with a stupidly wide fossil smiley face on it, which cheered me up no end. Yes reader, I did bring it home for my collection.


Do not worry! There are steps!




After this, back up to Yarmouth as we were en route to meet family friends. We found a giant gribble (yes), went for a walk along the pier, and found another café in which I had the first wild hot chocolate of the week.




Following this hot chocolate experience I decided to upgrade my own attempts, so we went to a shop to buy supplies in the form of marshmallows, whippy cream, and chocolate curls. To end the day I had a soak in the bath with one of my new books, and a hot chocolate.  Pretty damn perfect.