Wednesday 28 July 2021

Sometimes When Life Throws Deep Ends, You Just Gotta Jump In

Our landlady has sold our house.

We moved in a couple of weeks before the first lockdown, before the world went to shit, before I even knew what the word furlough was. Momma P and I viewed the house on a Saturday, and the following Saturday David and I got the keys and moved in.

We love this house.

We love this garden.

We love the nature reserve at the back, the sounds of the river in the evening, the occasional buzzard that lands in the tree over the back.

We’ve loved watching the blackbirds use our garden to raise a family and feed their brood, and to take their baths.

We’ve loved hearing and watching the woodpeckers shouting at each other and swooping over the garden.

David has loved target practice against the squirrels.

It’s such a beautiful area – middle of urban sprawl but SO peaceful. Every time we have been for a walk (granted, not many) we have been amazed by just how quiet the area is. We live near an industrial estate but the walks along the river are so quiet.

We saw a kingfisher.

I saw my first ever treecreeper.

David is convinced he heard an otter last year.

Our first house together has been truly great and I think we’ll miss it. I know I’m going to miss sitting with the back doors wide open and just looking at the garden. Listening. Yesterday I had the back doors wide open as the rain came crashing down.

It’s made such a difference to my mental health, living here. Living with David. Having our own space. Being able to slob out on the sofa.

It’s a small house but we’ve made it work. Yes we lost the front bedroom to an office/exercise room but it’s worked so far for us.

I am going to miss the garden.

 

But enough about that.

 

Our landlady has sold the house. It was officially on the market for 3 days. It sold over the guide price, and had 14 viewings. We can stay, if we want, with a new landlady (who I have met, and she is lovely).

We have been given the opportunity to completely change our life, our lifestyle, where we work (for me, at least), and our life/work balance. We have been given the opportunity to move out of the urban environment – probably for the rest of our lives. As long as I can afford the rent when D pegs it in 40yrs time.

So we’re moving!!

We’re moving to the countryside. I don’t like peaches but I am going to make myself like them.

We haven’t signed the paperwork yet so I don’t want to jinx it but all signs point very strongly and accurately to us getting this house. We’re probably moving at the start of September.

We will have done 18 months(ish) in this little urban cottage. We will miss it.

Need to start digging half of this up...


The view from my new home office