Thursday 2 March 2023

February 2023

So it turns out that I was ill for all of February, which may well explain why I have felt so shite. One course of antibiotics later and physically I am starting to feel better.

What have I and we and the cat been up to this month?

 

Crochet

The creative juices are still flowing but I think they are slowly slowing. This month I have made, finished, or fixed:

·       Four lengths of bunting

·       Made two pairs of socks

·       Darned three pairs of socks

·       Cut off and replaced the thumb tube on my gloves that I made in January

·       Made 3 balls for the cat with bells inside

Doesn’t look as much, but I did a lot of fixing this month.

The third Quatt Craft Group was REALLY popular, our busiest yet. Long may it continue!





Allotment

The plot has had it first grass cut of the year! And my compost now has a lovely layer of green. I know I don’t start seeds until mid-March at the earliest, but I have sown onion, carrot, radish, and kale at the plot in Feb.

The almond is coming into bloom, and the garlic is growing really well.

I planted two gifted chunks of rhubarb crowns, and I also put up 98 tiny hooks on batons fixed to the shed ceiling so that I can hang things to dry. 






Exercise

Hasn’t happened because I’ve been poorly sick and fully laying it on.


Work

It’s been a year since I left my last job! It’s gone hella fast. It was such a good decision to make. Genuinely don’t think I would’ve survived had I stayed in my last job. But it does also mean that it’s time for my contract to change, and there’s a bit more uncertainty ahead. I'm still trying to go for at least one walk every day.



Mental Health

We’re getting there. Slowly. Very, very, VERY slowly. I do feel better now, especially now that I know I definitely don’t have vulval or cervical cancer, and that my feeling like shite was because I was all poorly and infected. The weather is helping, and the seasons are changing, and that makes me feel better.

 

Cat Life

The Boy has started venturing out in the evenings! He had a supervised torchlit stroll, but now we let him go off by himself. He comes back for bedtime. He shouts at me if I take too long coming to bed, and he likes to attack our feet under the duvet.







Physical Health

The hospital visit was interesting and I had a vinegar rinse done, which I feel that Gwyneth Paltrow would charge hundreds for as a wellness exercise, but I had it done for free on the NHS.

 

Money

Still poor. The new washing machine has had its first repair call out and it’s not even a month old.

 

Garden

The garden is giving me lots of hope and joy and stuff to look forward to. I still haven’t been out to dig the flower beds, but I have a week off in March so I will try to get some gardening done. Everything is starting to grow, and the chives have survived the inundation from the flood water. I counted 34 clumps of chives in the garden. This year I really must actually harvest them to dry! I usually leave them for the bees.

I made a huge leaf mould bin using tree stakes I nabbed from the skip at work, some old bed frame slats, and also some surplus metal mesh from the allotment.

I’ve picked the first daffs from the garden and have them in vases in the lounge. I need more daffs and more vases. And more empty shelves.





Other Stuff

We went for a walk at the Long Mynd and on the way back, we fell into a chocolate shop, an antiques shop, and a wool shop! How unfortunate.




I feel like I’m on the up, but this year is starting ever so slowly. I’ve still a long way to go.