Saturday 4 May 2019

Allotment Life: April 2019


This month David and I sorted the apple tree with a new tree stake, and a nice gravel surround to suppress the weeds around the base. I’m pleased to report that the tree, stake and gravel are all still there and still looking good!

Bees are moving into my latest bee house addition – very exciting. I love sitting and watching them come and go, waving their little hairy butts around.


I had a long weekend off work thanks to Easter, and I was up at Plot 31 every day for five days on the trot. I got excited about carrots and split my shorts, I deadheaded daffodils, I fed the birds, I plotted and planned and got excited. A jaunt up to Homebase yielded eight bags of peat-free compost for £42, but I hadn’t made any progress on Big Projects due to lack of materials, mostly timber.

April started off busy, had a bit of a peak in the middle when I was up there every day – mostly for watering duties! – and then tailed off again. Now that I’ve been paid and have ordered timber, the Big Projects can continue this month; I shall tick two off the list, and do an extra one. It’s all coming together!

It’s only taken nine years…