Monday 26 August 2019

Allotment Life: July 2019


It’s quite hard for me to remember what I did yesterday, so thinking back to last month is a gargantuan task. I don’t think I spent much time up at the Plots for varying reasons. I also fell out of love with my blog also for varying reasons, hence not writing anything for a good long while now.

Luckily for everyone and even for those who aren’t interested, I take lots of photos! So I can tell you that in July I did this…

I dug out and relocated a couple of beds. This has been done to make large beds into multiple smaller beds, thus making it easier to reach crops. I am also trying to make more of my plot cultivated which means using up more space on the edges and shifting beds over. Thanks to my job I can actually afford timber and compost nearly every month so I am cashing in and beginning to give all of the veg-growing spaces a raised timber surround, and fresh peat-free compost. In October I am going to start barrowing poop from the shop too, to let it rot over winter and fertilise the beds.


I made plans for a new, three plank deep, square bed at the front of the plot. I have decided that I definitely want an almond tree, so now I am making a house for it! Planning only got as far as deciding that I wanted it there for sure, so there are no photos of my thought process for this (sorry).

I dug up and laid out the onions and garlics to dry. The onions were sets bought from Poundland and they’ve actually done alright. Some even look like proper onions! The garlics were mostly cloves that had sprouted so we planted, not sure of the variety. A lot of the garlics were so small that a whole bulb basically equalled a clove.


I saw this wee common blue butterfly enjoying one of the fallow plots…


Our Plot 4 marrow/courgette/patty pan harvesting started – and has yet to show any signs of finishing…


And that’s basically what July looked like! Hot, busy, sweaty, lots of plans made and lots of courgette eaten.