Thursday 7 November 2019

Making the Seasons: Autumnal Wreath - Finished!


I started this last year sometime - November 2018 to be precise, read the blog here!; I wanted an autumnal wreath made with both crocheted items and things that I collected from varying walks. The wreath base is polystyrene and from Wool Warehouse, the fairy lights were from Poundland, and some of the decorative things were from either Poundland or Sainsburys in their seasonal aisles. I think I am finally happy with how this looks. I just need to put more foil in the battery pack, change the batteries, fix the scarecrow to it, and then add a hanging loops – oh, and then find somewhere to hang it!



I used star stitch and Stylecraft DK Cabaret. The hedgehog was made using a pattern from Crochet Now magazine, and varying things were either leftover from other projects or just quickly made without a pattern. I used a leaf and little ball patterns from Attic 24, acorn pattern from a blog that I cannot remember, and the littlest pumpkin came from Ravelry. The toadstools I think I freehanded as the patterns I found were all way too big, so I used embroidery floss and a 2.5mm hook for them. I used absolutely loads of fabric tack glue from the Birmingham Rag Market to glue it all on to the wreath as I absolutely hate sewing, especially when it is really fiddly.

Acorns, knopper galls, conkers, sweet chestnuts, mouse-chewed cherry stones, larch , alder & pinecones, and catkins were all made by Mother Nature. The catkins have dried and fallen of – I didn’t know about preserving leaves and things when I started this wreath. The little wooden mouse was handcarved and a gift for my fiancée who passed it to me. Star anise was added but I’m not sure why, I think I just liked it but it smelled foul to start with.




It is a truly mixed media piece and I’m very proud of it, but it is very fragile as things are drying and crumbling. Hopefully the cones and acorns will hold on for a while, but it did look good with dangly catkins.