Saturday 10 November 2018

Making the Seasons; Autumnal Wreath


Making a wreath is not a regular occurrence for me. They are time consuming both physically and mentally, and they take a lot of planning, faffing, deciding, thinking, rethinking, more faffing, and then generally lots of time to put the whole thing together. Saying that, I am absolutely loving the one I’m currently making. It is autumnal, and the colours are glorious and I’ve been collecting natural materials to stick on it, and raiding tat shops to get bits and pieces.

I was first inspired to make crochet wreaths by Lucy over at Attic 24; I think both of our brains work in a similar way. I love colour and piecing things together. I love being outdoors and using that as inspiration. Planning and thinking about what colours to use, things to add on, what else I could put on, how much is too much, do I add dangly twirly bits, do I add pompoms… the list is endless.

So this is my wreath at the moment! I am just about to start fixing things to the wreath base. I use fabric tack glue because I hate sewing. Some of the bits will be glued and then fastened with small fencing staples.


I need to make more bits for it; I want toadstools, more leaflitter, maybe another pumpkin or two. I also want to incorporate more cones and catkins. I could keep making and it’d never be enough!


For the base I have used a 30cm polystyrene flat-backed ring from Wool Warehouse, and then I made the cover using Stylecraft Cabaret in Rainforest. I used star stitch; it is very wonky and a bit ruched up in places so I won't use this stitch again for a wreath cover. It isn't very even and although it is pretty, lots of the actual cover will be, well, covered, so you won't see the star stitch detail. 

The wee hedgehog was made from a pattern book I got with Crochet Now magazine, and the leaves are made from an Attic 24 pattern. This is a seasonal project that will probably be finished when the season ends!