Sunday 24 April 2016

#geobritainroadtrip – Dawlish

Text in blue opens in a new tab

The cliffs of Dawlish may be the best reason to take a journey by rail, even if it’s only from Exeter to Paignton and back. The cliffs along the seafront are spectacular; a dazzling orange-red, and criss-crossed with minor faults, cross bedding structures, channel deposits and conglomerate areas. Taking a walk east from Dawlish station along the seawall is a great way to see these rocks, but you cannot get up close as the railway is between the cliffs and the sea. Definitely one to observe from afar!

I once filmed these cliffs as I went past on my way to Plymouth on the train, it’s all in reverse and there’s a lot of reflection from the windows, but you can watch it here: it’s only 15s long


These cliffs are aeolian (desert) sandstone from the Permo-Triassic, around 250 million years ago.

I first visited Dawlish & Dawlish Warren on college geology field trip, some 11 years ago. Kelly and I dropped in to see the cliffs again on our #geobritainroadtrip, and we walked along the sea wall so I could get my fix of Permo-Triassic desert goodness. 






Heart eyes for days.