Monday 11 March 2019

A Day Out to Ludlow

AKA the day we saw the remains of a MASSIVE tree

I have been moaning to David about how we never go anywhere anymore for walks, so we had an impromptu day trip to Ludlow! We chose Ludlow as I have a Wildlife Trust app on my phone where you can look for nature reserves. We enjoy walking on Highgate Common, so I chose Whitcliffe Common for a walk. I also wanted to explore a trail I know about in Ludlow, the geology trail (obviously!).

So off we went. It was pouring with rain as we left Wolverhampton but it stopped and cleared up the further away we got, so most of the drive was sunny and glorious. We managed to find a spot in the short stay car park in the centre of Ludlow, had a quick look around the market (Teacakes! Cheeses! Whittled objects! Vinyl!) and then settled into a pub for lunch. I had soup, fresh from the pot (it wasn’t ready when we ordered it, but it was lush when it arrived). We went and had a quick look at the castle and then we drove to the other side of the river to visit the common.




There is a geology trail but I didn’t see much that really explained about the bone bed or its significance. Each bench has a cement fossil animal next to it, but I think more interpretation signs along the walk and base of the cliffs would be a great addition here. David has canoed this river before so he was showing me the weir and how you’d go over it to avoid being sucked into the pool at the bottom.



We did a loop around the common (it is TINY) and then on the way back to the car, David found a hidden quarry! So of course I had to go for a mooch. We found lots of brachiopod and bivalve fossils in varying states of preservation, and then in a pile of rocks that had been used as a fire pit I found a mega nice rectangular bit of rock – with preserved ripple marks! So I now own a piece of Silurian ripple marked seafloor.

Usually when we visit places of geological interest I come away with pockets full of rocks, but I am trying to not do this anymore. I have a lot of fossil brachios and bivalves so really don’t need anymore, and this site is a SSSI, so hammering is not allowed and generally you can pick things up from scree to collect. I limited myself to one sample instead of pocket-loads and I am happy with that.


To celebrate a near-perfect Saturday (a lazy start, crochet, three chocolate biscuits with my tea, a sunny walk, geology, beer at lunchtime, spending time with David…), we then went to a gig on the evening, to see The Lancashire Hotpots. I for one had a great time!


We drove home over Clee