Monday 25 March 2019

Crochet Blanket Inspiration: Granny Squares


So it seems that I just can’t help myself, and while sorting out my windowsill plants the other day I saw four balls of yarn side-by-side and straight away I thought – that’s a granny square combo right there!

I have been struggling with boredom lately. I am trying to stop using my phone and laptop quite so much, but I just don’t know what else to do with my time. I crochet, I have an allotment, I grow fruit & veg with work, I whittle (sometimes), I tend plants on my windowsill, I hula hoop (sometimes) and I swim (sometimes). I find it hard to read as I can’t concentrate for long periods of time, though I have recently starting reading again – but this puts me off using the library as I don’t like mooching (I HATE mooching), and I am so slow to read that I’d just be fined all the time.

This weekend I decided to start making some crochet granny squares, to see how far I get. So far I have made six – I haven’t done granny squares for years but it is one of the first things I learnt how to make – and I have no idea how many I’ll need for a blanket (probably about 150!), so at the moment I am using this as a boredom-buster and trying to make one or two a day. I have three main colours and an edging colour, so coming up with different combinations is fun. I am going to make as many different colour combos as I can before I start making multiples of each. Each square reminds me of batternberg cake!

Remembering to sew in the ends as I go is a useful second-hand boredom buster – as you can see from the pictures I haven’t sewn them all! I am using Stylecraft Special DK in Parchment, Saffron, Cream and Blush with a 4mm hook. Each square is about 11cm across.