Thursday 28 March 2019

Allotment Life: Wildlife Friendly


I had a quick blast up to the allotment as I need to start making some progress on getting my polytunnel up. While I was there I saw; long-tailed tits, a robin, pigeons, magpies, and gulls. I heard the woodpecker and also saw blue tits, and either dunnocks or sparrows. I also saw my first peacock butterfly of the year looking gloriously new and fresh, an adult wasp (chilling out in my solitary bee house!), a dark edged bee-fly, some millipedes, a juvenile frog and black beetles!

I’m always very happy and excited when I see little beasties on my plot – it’s good to know that the habitat is there for them and that they are around. I usually get little grass hoppers in the summer so I always leave them some long grass, and my solitary bee house was being used by leafcutter bees last year so I hope to see them emerge this year.

Waspo

Froggo?

White-legged Snake Millipede? 

Robin

Peacock Butterfly

Dark Edged Bee-Fly