Friday 3 January 2020

Allotment Life: November and December 2019


It’s been far too wet to do any big jobs at the allotment, even though I had plans to get stuff done. I wanted to lay the paving slabs in front of the shed where it gets ever so wet and boggy, but it has been too wet and boggy in front of the shed to get the digging done!

Thick layer of ice from a fat ball tub filled with water for the animals.

The bottom of my plot. This happens every winter.

Slip n slide outside the shed door. I need slabs!!

Momma P and I have been up the plots at least once a week to check on things, feed the birds, and to pick sprouts for christmas dinner. The bulbs are pushing through in the quince and bulb bed, but no sign of anything yet in the other troughs I dug.

The mesh is to keep the fox from digging and to stop the birds pulling the bulbs out. It'll be removed when most of the bulbs are up.

In the quince bed I put pebbles down to stop the fox digging and to act like a mulch. It looks nice too.

Momma has been busy prepping wood for Plot 4, ready to build the raised beds up to make them deeper. I have done my jobs list for 2020 – it is quite extensive – but I am excited for this year because I think my little plot will look massively different to how it does now. 

Page one of the to-do list...

Here is Jan 2nd 2020: