Wednesday 15 January 2020

Aims and Goals for 2020


I have re-read my Aim and Goals for 2019 blog post and I am happy to report that I didn’t achieve most of it.

Well, maybe not happy, but definitely not surprised. Despite having a new job I actually put on weight (2kg) and went up a clothes size. By the end of 2019 I felt more unfit than ever. My knees, hips and back ache and seize up quite often, and my lungs don’t seem to be able to hold as much air as they used to.

Over the festive break I challenged myself to hula hoop for at least ten minutes every day. I was off work for 2.5 weeks, and I hula hooped for most of them. There were six days that I didn’t hula, but on some of these I did other things like swimming. Since January started I have been doing some 30-day challenges that I downloaded from Google.

I am doing a water challenge (I tick off how many cups I have drunk during the day and try to get at least 64oz / 1.8L a day), a squat challenge (starts at 20, ends at 100), a push up challenge (starts at 15, ends with 40 – this one is going ok so far), and a plank challenge (start with 20sec and end with 5min).

Some are going better than others (15 days in)! I am not drinking as much as I should but I am being restrictive over what I include to tick off. I don’t include the milk on my breakfast, the hot chocolates, or any wet fruits such as orange, pepper, apples or grapes. The plank challenge is exactly that – I held a plank for 1 minute without breaks but am struggling to get past a minute. Squats are definitely helping my knees but I can’t do more than 30 in one go. I am still hula hooping, and Momma P and I have gotten back into swimming once a week, and we’re also trying to go for a brisk walk each weekend. I now also have a mountain bike so David and I are going to start cycling too. I am now taking cod liver oil supplements which I think are helping. 

So goals for this year in terms of fitness are:
·         Walk every weekend with Momma P
·         Swim at least twice a month with Momma P
·         Cycle with David. I haven’t been on a bike for nearly twenty years so this is scary.
·         Keep up with squats, planks and push ups
·         Start yoga and go at least twice a month.

Another rather large aim for this year is to actually, properly, definitely move out!! I have been saying and wanting this for years but it just hasn’t been possible without the risk of throwing myself into major debt. David has had some money from his pension pot which means we can afford a deposit now, so we just need to iron out some details and find somewhere to live…

My allotment is ten years old and still floody, so a goal for this year is to get more raised beds built towards the bottom of the plot so that I can actually grow things. I have been quite good at the plot this year, budgeting money for it each month absolutely has helped and made such a difference. I am going to keep doing this during 2020.

Life goals then for 2020:
·         Move out
·         Cycle more and get confident at it
·         Not go up another clothes size
·         Keep saving money no matter how little
·         Actually type up my Tree Warden notes. I’ve been saying I’m going to do this for at least six months so this year I will actually do it. I did start over the festive season but my laptop is so clunky it doesn’t motivate me to do anything.
·         Be brutal with tat. I love tat. I love junk and crap and STUFF. Over the festive season I sorted out SO MUCH and sent six large bags of things to a local charity shop and one black bag to the tip. I still have so much that, at the moment, I am holding on to – but why? They have been shoved in a cupboard for a few years and they will probably remain shoved in a cupboard. So this year I am going to try not to accumulate more tat and junk, and then maybe have another brutal sort out when David and I move.
·         Finish at least four overdue crochet projects. Ahhhh, WIPs. I have so many of you. Bunting, Willendorf Venus, body warmer, granny square blanket, random stripe blanket, little hearts. Some of you WILL get finished this year!

David and I saw two starling murmurations last year which was another of my goals. We didn’t make it to Scotland and we didn’t climb any mountains either. I also didn’t get my hair cut more than once a year (there’s a surprise) – Momma P did it for me in the bathroom just after new years.