Friday 17 January 2020

Crochet Blanket Inspiration: Battenberg Granny Square Blanket


Well, I have finally finished making the required number of granny squares – 182 to be precise! I have decided to make a blanket that is 14 x 13 squares so it’ll easily be big enough for a double bed – and that’s without a border. I have done ten of each colourway and then two extra. The next step is to sew in all the ends – I sew over yarn tails wherever possible but with granny squares I always end up with bits to sew. I hate sewing.



I laid out and organised all of the squares over the festive break. Every time I take them out of the project bag it takes a stupid amount of time to put them all in their piles of matching squares. This time I decided to get them all together and then thread some yarn through a corner to keep them all together. Some are complete granny squares with all the ends sewn away and the grey border added.



There are eighteen different colourways (!) and I have used three different colours. It really makes my eyes and brain hurt when I try to sort them all out. I am trying to sew a batch every evening which in theory means I’ll get through them all soon – but I just hate sewing so, so, so much. I had wanted to get it completely sewn together by new years, but maybe I’ll aim for new years 2021…