Wednesday 5 February 2020

Allotment Life: January 2020


Another month of not very much. It is too wet to do anything and too early do the rest. However, Momma P and I have been visiting weekly mainly to feed the foxes and the birds (and the rats, and local neighbourhood cats). The daffodil bulbs are coming up beautifully in the quince bed, and the crocus are poking through the anti-fox-digging mesh on the flower bed.

Flower bed bulbs

Quince bed bulbs

I have been to prune the apple tree. This is potentially the first time it’s been pruned since being put in nine years ago! I am hoping that it helps to reduce apple scab. It looks a lot more open now and less tangled.

Before....

Pruning is done to help shape trees (aiming for an open goblet/wine glass sort of shape). Any dead, damaged or diseased bits are cut off and sacrificed to a compost heap, and then any branches growing inwards into the centre of the goblet are removed, and finally any branches that cross over are selectively pruned, to prevent rubbing. I also chopped some tall bits down, and some side bits back to stop them growing over my neighbours plot. I piled the twigs up at the base of the tree so I could see how much I had cut, aiming to only remove a third of the canopy. Having the pile close by helps to visualise this!

....after!

I have shredded stacks of paperwork over the holidays and this shredded paper is destined for my allotment compost bin, but I suspect that I have a new shed rodent so I don’t want to put the bin bag of paper in the shed yet to store it as rodent will just nest in it.

I am going to treat myself to as much peat free compost that I can get my hands on so that I have it ready to top up the beds when the weather is better. I tend to buy it from B&Q, but it depends who has it for the best offer.

Plot 31 at the start of 2020. This view will hopefully look totally different in a years time!