Wednesday 12 February 2020

Allotment Life: Signs of Spring


Despite being water logged and mostly abandoned over the last couple of months, Plot 31 is bursting into life! Momma P and I have been walking up to the allotment once a week – we worked out that if we go the long way, it is a one mile loop – to feed the birds and check on things. I have been taking photos each week of the bulbs that I planted last year, and they’re really looking good now.

The first crocus are in flower in the bed under the plum tree, and the daffs are coming up too. I also spotted the first allotment tulip in this bed:

Crocus leaves have a white or pale steak up the middle

Tulip leaves wrap around each other like a sheath

I am keeping the mesh on to stop things digging in the fresh compost, and then in March (maybe April) I am going to sprinkle mixed flower seeds into this bed. I am thinking scabious, nigella, calendula, vetch, poppy, and other single, open flowered plants.

The quince bed daffodils are nearly as tall as the quince bushes, and the quinces themselves are coming out into leaf:



My wee babby almond tree that was planted last year is also coming to life! I am so excited about this; I am looking forward to seeing the blossom. The buds are swelling, ready to burst:


We saw two jays as we walked into the plot so I hope it is a breeding pair and that they will set up a nest nearby. We usually have woodpeckers nesting in the brook that is at the bottom of the site. I am also going to buy some bird boxes that I’ve seen online and put them up around the allotment site.