Tuesday 17 March 2020

Allotment Life: First Bumblebee of the Year/Decade


I saw a bumblebee at work but didn’t get a close enough look at her before she zoomed off in the direction of a patch of crocus. A couple of days later I saw two more bumblebees at one of my work sites, but again didn’t get close enough to get a photo. I then went to my allotment to get some bits and pieces, and found a wee bumble on the edge of a raised bed, not moving. I scooped her up onto my fingers to get her warmed up:




We then went for a walk around the allotment and she started walking around my hand a bit. I tried her on some flowers but no, she wanted to stay on the warm big thing. I then decided to go to my mommas plot where the daffs are in full show, but before that I put Ms Bumble on a flower on my almond tree – yes, my almond tree/stick is starting to flower!:




She quite enjoyed being on the almond but then stopped feeding and had a wash, and then just sat there. So I popped her back on my hand and took her to mommas plot. I managed to decant her into a daffodil where I left her, hopefully she is ok and had a good lunch.



Bumblebees need to be around 30° on the inside for their flight muscles to work, so sharing body heat is a good and gentle way to warm them up. They won’t sting – they rarely/never sting – but their feet do tickle. If you find a bee on the floor that you suspect is cold, just put your fingers in front of her (gently!) and she should climb aboard.