Monday 23 March 2020

New House Adventures: My Tiny Garden


I have (un)officially joined the #MyTinyGarden group on Twitter! Although I am not actually a part of it as I recently made my Twitter private, so anyone else using that hashtag cannot see my posts unless they already follow me, but I have posted a couple of things under the tag. Maybe one day when I am no longer private I will ‘officially’ be part of it. I don’t think there are actually any membership requirements other than having a small garden.

The new house that David and I have moved to has a rear garden which is mostly slabbed and surrounded by brown ugly fencing. I have submitted plans to the letting agent detailing what I want to do so she can ask our landlady for permission. Most of what I want involves putting netting across the fence panels so that I can grow climbers up the fence to hide it. Fence panels are ugly and boring. I want colour! I want texture! I want bumblebees! Maybe even some butterflies!

I am planning on clematis, honeysuckle, nasturtium and passionflower up and across the fencing. I also want some of those over-fence-panel pots into which I can have tumbling tomatoes, trailing lobelia and maybe courgettes (yeah!). I would also like a couple of fruit trees or bushes in pots – I am thinking apple, another almond (why not – the flowers are beautiful), and a blueberry bush. I want to plant strawberries around the base of the apple and the almond.

I would also like a small trough planter or three, maybe on a shelving unit, near the back door where I can grow cut and come again salad leaves (spinach, rocket, mizuna, lettuce, corn salad, red-veined sorrel) and herbs. Possibly spring onions too.

To be honest I want to get started and get things stapled, and buy pots and compost and get going with it all but – I must wait. I need prior written consent to do stuff as we are renting and I don’t want to jeopardise that. Also, it is still too early for planting a lot of things as we are still at a risk of frost.