Sunday 1 March 2020

An Update On My February Challenges


The key thing you need to know is that I tried, and that is the most important thing.

My challenge of walking 10,000 steps a day in February hasn’t happened. I thought, with my job, that I would find this quite easy but actually it was quite hard to hit the target, even though I do lots of back and forth with wheelbarrows and tools, to the van and back, around site etc. My average over the 29 days was 6,335 steps a day. The highest was 12,189, and the lowest a measly 358. 358!! That’s pathetic. On some of days I did other exercise though, like swimming, hula hooping, or my inaugural bike ride where we did 4.5km. I haven’t done any skipping at work as I keep conveniently forgetting that the skipping rope is there. I also still haven’t started pilates - that is this months challenge.

Not using personal social media at weekends, again, isn’t happening. I’ve been so stressed and anxious, and dare I say it, borderline depressed again, that I am back to my aimlessly scrolling habit. When I am anxious or stressed, I cannot concentrate on a task such as reading, crochet, clay work or sewing so I don’t do them. If I attempt anything creative and it ‘goes wrong’ in my head, then it is all a waste of time, so I just don’t do them. Blankets were always my go-to anxiety projects as I can just work rows of stitches without thinking about it, but I am on a crochet blanket embargo at the moment until I have finished one. On the plus side, I am not playing Sims 3 as much.

Crocus. Possibly one of my favourite flowers.

Pilates. AP: Carried forward to next month. It’s like writing team meeting minutes again, but for one reason or another (read: I am lazy) I haven’t started yet. I have budgeted exercise money for this month and I am going to start. I AM.

A lunch plan for work. I have done this. I made it and colour coded it and made it pretty and printed it off. It is still sat in my printer tray. So the thought was there, and it has happened, but I haven’t done anything with it yet.

Finish an outstanding crochet project. Nope. I have however made a couple of crochet butterflies. My crojo is still awol and I just haven’t got the headspace to figure out stitch placement and sewing stuff together.

Made using this free pattern

A thing that has made me smile and feel very grateful, was leaving the office at 5pm in the DAYLIGHT and it was warm enough to not require a hoody/coat/scarf/hat. It was glorious! I have also been sitting on the back step in the morning watching and listening to the birdies while I drink my water. This is a favourite habit/routine of mine, and Taffula Fluffkins often comes and joins me. I do enjoy sitting on the step in the morning in the early sun and beginnings of warmth – even more so when the swifts come back and zoom overhead, screeching as they go.


So this month is now March, time Marches on. This month will be dedicated to trying to be a better me. Less snacking on biscuits at work – we don’t buy them for at home but I do buy them for work, which means I eat them at work. I am also going to resist the urge for a free hot chocolate at work and start having water again. I don’t drink nearly enough water anyway, and I drink even less at work. I AM going to start pilates at least twice a month to get started. The aim is to do it weekly. I have bad experiences with pilates so I am wary of it, even though it is a different place, different person, different environment, different life situation…

Aforementioned Taffula Fluffkins.

Momma P and I are still walking and swimming. I am now aiming to do a minimum swim of 14 lengths and am hoping to be up to 18 by the end of March. We have increased the distance we walk by 0.1 of a mile, and I try to put a pace on, but it tends to leave Momma breathless and out of puff and to be honest I don’t want to kill her, so I need to slow down.

My clay coasters have dried out and I am still thinking of how to decorate them. The plan was to get porcelain paints and doodle, but Momma P suggested I use the flowers out of my flower press and glue them on, and then varnish it. I like this idea a lot, so I am going to give it a whirl. I need to buy some varnish for air-dry clay, and then get messy. I am going to stick some pale paper on as a backing, like papier mâché, and then glue the squidged flowers on top, and then varnish the whole lot.


David and I are away for a few days at the end of the month, and then we possibly have some big exciting news after that. Maybe. Not a wedding, don’t get too excited.

I do not have a 'tache even tho this pic makes it look like I do...