Thursday 11 June 2020

HOTH: Battenberg Blanket!

It is done! I have finished my granny square blanket. It’s so huge and soft and squishy, and fits the bed perfectly.

It is made of 182 granny squares in 18 different colour patterns. I have tried my best when laying out the squares to not have the same colours touching each other, or the same colour middle next to each other. It sort of worked – I think there are two locations where it hasn’t worked, but for a first attempt and 182 squares, I don’t think that’s bad!

I started this last March as a boredom exercise and it quickly snowballed into a much bigger project. It was put on hold a while as I waited for more yarn to arrive to finish edging the squares this year, but I really wanted to get it done and finished before I went back to work after furlough.

I edged it with a row of DC using the yarn tails, and then went back and filled the gaps. I then turned the blanket over and did a row of HTR the wrong way, which helps to straighten up the edge and stop it curling. I’m really happy with it. It’s really simple, really colourful, and not too fussy.