Thursday 4 June 2020

Allotment Life: Plot 31 Upgrades


Back in April, David and I had a day building new raised beds and shifting a load of topsoil which was removed from the pond hole. I blogged about that day here. 

Over the last week or so I have been taking advantage of the local M&S food hall selling peat free compost, and with help from Momma P and her homemade compost, the new raised beds are now completely full, and they have also been planted up! I am so excited to watch these grow and fill out. All of the plants except the tagetes have been grown from seed. I bought the tagetes from M&S with the compost.




The two square yellow beds have got tomatoes, tagetes, sweetcorn and calendula (seed). The long purple bed now has a pea tepee with two types of pea seed, a row of bean canes with three types of bean seed (borlotti, yellow French, and purple French climbing). It also has 3 courgette plants – one yellow and two green – and a pumpkin. In between the rows and the plants, I have sown seeds of mixed lettuce, spring onion, and carrot. The shorter blue bed has a sturdy growing structure attached to it, and up this I am growing a loofah, sunflowers, and I have also planted gladioli bulbs along the back. This growing structure will be permanent so that next year I can grow peas or beans up it. In the front part of the bed I have put two courgette plants, and some rows of carrot and parsnip seed. Around the edge I have bodged some calendula seed, and I think some dwarf foxglove. The small square blue bed has sweet peas that haven’t climbed at all, and a pumpkin.





Building these beds has completely transformed this part of the allotment and has given me some much-needed growing space which is well above the water table. I can actually use this bit of land now!!

I am now going to start focusing my attention on the other half of the plot opposite these beds. The quince get flooded every year but it will be a big job to dig them out, fill the bed in, build new raised beds, and then back fill them, and replant the quince! I am going to take this as an opportunity to redesign the layout of this bottom area, so that I have a car parking space, and maybe I’ll spread the quince out. This was originally the holding bed for them to get the plants out of Mommas greenhouse some years ago, but it is now dock/nettle/teasel/cleavers heaven so it does need sorting.


I saw this cinnabar moth whilst I was planting peas.