Sunday 7 April 2019

Allotment Life: March 2019


March was a mixed bag. I spent quite a bit of time at the allotment but I am now mostly relegated to weekends as I work Monday to Friday. I finished off the herb bed and planted loads more strawberries in it; the fennel and comfrey are growing up again and the raspberries are coming out into leaf so I think they’re happy! I have also installed a bumblebee nesting tube on the outside edge of the herb bed as I had a hole that needed filling. I’ve used a section of terracotta chimney pipe, some roof tiles, and a bit of plastic pipe as the entry hole.


It has since been covered over with soil and trodden down

My early, eager seed sowing has paid off – I have radishes, swede, carrots, leek, spring onion, lettuce and chard appearing already (!) so soon it will be time to put more seeds in. My square foot bed is filling up nicely. It is 6ft x 6ft, so I have 36 growing spaces. One has a permanent flower in it, so of the remaining 35 spaces I think I only have 9 or 10 left to fill! I will wait until the end of April before I do more salad/quick crops.


Radish

Growing and planning has stagnated on the rest of the plot. I desperately need a large amount of compost to fill the other raised beds but I simply cannot afford it. 1000L of peat free compost is going to cost me about £80 (which isn’t too bad a price) but I need to buy a lot of wood too.

I have planted four quince shrubs in a row along the edge of my plot – these have been grown from seed by Momma P and we chucked them in the plot to get them out of the greenhouse, but as things tend to do they have grown, and needed thinning out. Two have gone to work, three have gone to a volunteer at work, Momma P has had some, I’ve planted these four elsewhere, I have one in the herb bed – and still l have three more to put in somewhere!

I still haven’t sorted the polytunnel…………

A male solitary bee buddy in my silver birch bee house

White snakes-head fritillaries

Plot 31. More tarp than plot.