Monday 20 April 2020

Allotment Life: Woodwork in the Sun


I’m super happy with how these have turned out so I decided they needed a post all for themselves.

I bought a load of timber in March intending to make some raised beds but also half-planning to make current beds deeper. What’s actually happened is that David and I have built five new raised beds which has completely transformed the bottom of the plot. This is an area that floods quite badly every year – it is often under 4 inches of water – so it desperately needed building upwards to allow me to actually use this space to grow food.

I now have an area with five raised beds, two are the same size and the other three are different – custom made to fit the space whilst leaving enough room for a footpath to get a wheelbarrow up and down, and also enough space between the beds for the lawn mower.






The ground here is so uppy-downy so I’ve had to use most of the spoil heap (from digging out the pond) to level the ground off as best I could. The original plan was to use this spoil to fill the beds, but I thought raising the ground level might be a better idea. It sort of worked. One bed is definitely not level but it’s better than what I had before and I’m super happy with it now!

This area used to be three beds dug straight into the ground, and were some of the first beds we dug on the plot way back in 2010 and 2011! Adam dug one of them, and then spent the next day in hospital with a kidney stone baby. So now, instead of three beds dug into the ground, I now have seven raised beds. I just need to get them filled...

2014 - it looks completely different now

2011 - probably freshly dug!

So this is how it looks now!