Saturday 1 May 2021

Allotment Life: April 2021

The big news for this month – SHED!! It arrived at the allotment on St Georges Day at 8:30am and we left site at 8pm. David and his son Sam built it for me, and I helped them after work with the roof panels. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. So I now have a shed!! It’s HUGE!! 10x8ft! Honestly it’s massive. It’s almost as big as two of my old sheds put together. I have emptied my polytunnel and moms polytunnel and put all of my stuff in it, and some other bits and pieces (lengths of guttering and pipes) and there’s still enough room to sit in it and be able to socially distance. It. Is. Huge. Need to decide what colour to wallpaper the inside. I am going to get some faux flagstone effect lino flooring to go down in it (easier to sweep than the wooden floor it comes with, and looks well posho), and I am slowly building shelves using offcuts from the decking as brackets and pieces of timber for the actual shelf. Entertained myself building a tool rack so nearly everything has its place now.

What else happened in April? Shed kinds tops everything to be honest.

·       Momma P planted my potatoes & first load of peas

·       I sowed more carrot, parsnip & spring onion seed in the double height bed and covered it over to stop the birds digging

·       We planted up a herb bed

·       Painted all of the raised bed timber

·       Sowed wildflower meadow seed mix in the gaps between raised beds

·       I laid four massive paving slabs on sand, bedded them in AND got them all flat and level

·       Planted about 100 leek seedlings

·       Finished up and built the brassica cage, and planted cauliflower & calabrese, and then sowed carrot & parsnip seed in the middle

·       Put up the shed

·       Painted the shed twice

·       Planted out the first lot of French beans

·       Planted some flowers (artichoke, calendula, tagetes)

·       Watched the birds lots

·       Planted up a wild patch along the other side of the shed in front of the bamboo

The allotment is very much where I’m spending my weekends now – I am back to full time work and have four groups a week now and frankly at the end of the day I am too tired to drive all the way to the plot to do anything. Also, there isn’t actually a lot to do as I get loads done at the weekends. 

At home I have been starting more seeds, ready for planting at the allotment when the plants are big enough. I have done more peas and beans (more is more), courgette, pumpkin, patty pan, flowers, and some mixes of wildflowers.














Hot choca and a cinnamon swirl







Christened the shed with my wee bucket