Sunday 30 May 2021

Brummagem or Bust: 25 Years!

Decided on a whim that I would post daily blog entries, directly copy & pasted from the diaries I typed up. Every word written is by Momma P. I'll try and include relevant photos from the day too. This will be a daily entry until the middle of August so I hope you enjoy me being all sentimental and gushy. Some of it is very matter-of-fact, some of it is more wordy, but it's 100% what Momma wrote.

Living in Saudi was a big part of my life and I honestly do miss it every damn day. Every day. 

So - 


Thursday 30th May 1996

Start 9:15am after three hours packing. Taif 800km.

Dave Friday came with us 100km. Took us 1hr to do 43k as we had to find a garage with air pump! Permission to travel says cross border on 31st May! No chance. Only Taif by then, then onto Tabuk, then Haditha to cross. Probably Sunday morning hopefully.

Stopped at 11 for wee & water at a gas station. Left 11:40.

One horse town – Main street, mosque, a couple of car repair shops!

11:57. Taif 671k.

Strange mud flow hills to right of road. Taif 530k.

Flat plains with lots of green scrub. Loads of camels & shoats (clicky for wiki). Villas in back of nowhere – can’t see what livelihood people have here apart from camels.

3:20pm. Toilet stop at SASCO garage, family restaurant so we had chicken & rice, water, 4 teas – full of sugar and with bonny evap!, sprite for kids – 4 bottles, all cost 36SR!

3:45pm. Left this houses of delicacies; I sat in the back and Richard in front to give him a break from Lauras chatter! (Have I packed my jewellery?)

Laura in front. Emily and Richard enjoying themselves singing to her Walkman – one ear plug each!

4 o’clock. 454k to Taif.

Large obvious river bed, mud & puddles, must have been an amazing sight when full. Lots of hills, starting to climb now – I know this as my feet are swelling. 438k.

The road is fenced, no chance yet to look for a campsite.

5:30. Just passed a junction and noticed that the fence is no longer there so we have decided to halt now for the night in case we can’t get off the road! We shall not pitch the tent; just use the beds and mattresses.

7o/c. I’m writing this – all else scouring the desert for wood.

We shall have sausage & egg, or burgers. Emily is having chicken cup soup.

Did not eat – still full from c&r. Bed by 9. Awake again at 10.10 due to lorries thundering past on the road.