Friday 10 April 2020

Allotment Life: March 2020


March on the allotment was relatively quiet. It was a busy month for us as David and I moved house at the start which didn’t leave much time for the plot, and then the UK went into lockdown so we rationed trips to the plot. It was also still quite wet and squelchy up there so I didn’t want to do any digging. Mid-March was a busy one at work as I had multiple corporate teams as well as my usual volunteer groups.

I did a bunch of seed sowing in March to start my salad crops off. This was done purely in response to the panic buying and stockpiling that was going on – I don’t usually start sowing seeds until April. I sowed radish, carrot, parsnip, lettuce, rocket, peas, mizuna, lambs lettuce, spinach and beetroot.

The flower bulbs have been getting better and better throughout March – I am so pleased that I took the time and made the effort to marathon plant loads of bulbs last winter! I am already planning next winters bulbs – more crocus and tulips I think. The snakes head fritillaries around the apple tree also started coming up in March – I think I might plant loads more of these too.