Friday 24 April 2020

April in the Garden


Our little garden at home is filling up and filling out nicely. We measured it at approximately 35m2 which is quite tiny, but it is big enough for us two, some raised beds, a shed, a bird feeding station, a makeshift pond, a seating area, a potting bench, and some bedding either side. Honest. There was already some greenery here when we moved in – mostly evergreen shrubs – but the landlady has given us permission to plant more things and to grow veggies too.


David has built me three wooden raised beds and put together a raised trug planter thingy that Momma P gave me. He has also put up the bird feeding station, a solitary bee box, and attached a hanging basket hook to the shed. I have put sturdy garden mesh along the fence panels so that climbing things can climb, and tall things can be tied up to give them support.


In the garden I have sown veggie seeds in the raised beds whilst leaving room for sowing more next month. I sowed most things at the start of the month and they are only just coming up now! I have radish, carrot, turnip, spinach, beetroot, chard, peas, beans, salad leaves, lambs lettuce, spring onion, leek, nasturtium, and calendula. I also dug up some strawberry plants from the plot and replanted them in the garden, and I have ordered some giant strawberry plants today to go into a new hanging basket. 

I also chucked some seed potatoes from work into the longer raised bed as I needed somewhere to put them – being furloughed means I cannot plant them at work, and we already planted loads at Ley Hill Community Garden before the lockdown started, which was fortunate. These potatoes at home are now poking up between the carrot, radish & turnip seedlings so I hope they all get along fine, and that the seedlings can put on enough growth before they get swamped by the spuds!



I spent a happy three hours in the sunshine a couple of days ago, in a rocking chair, reading. I basically moved the living room outdoors, and with my wide-brimmed sun hat and a coating of factor 30, I was good to go. I have started reading 'Dancing with Bees' by Brigit Strawbridge-Howard. I bought this a while ago but was waiting to finish another book before I picked this one up.


The birds are still happily visiting us; I am going to have to resupply with bird seed etc soon. The blue and coal tits are still taking cat fur – I have to keep scooping it up from the shrubs where they drop it to put it back in the holder for them to collect. They are getting quite good at clinging to the garden mesh on the fence to get the fur they want!





I installed a bird watering station too. There is a small water tray on the bird feeding station but it gets filled with peanuts and sunflowers, so I thought I’d make a ground level watering area – mainly for the dunnocks and blackbirds to get a drink. It is a cat litter tray from Poundland with a timber off-cut ramp, and some pebbles to weigh the wood down. I have seen coal tits drinking from it a few times now!



The garden is very green, except for the acer which is a rich red colour. I am really looking forward to having it full of colour; I have several sunflowers to plant (white, red, orange, and yellow), and I have also ordered some other plants. There was already a clematis which I think is going to have white flowers, so I bought a purple clematis whilst grocery shopping last week. I have ordered honeysuckle, red-hot pokers, and a load of seeds including campion, cowslip, deadnettle, clover and toadflax. Some of these seeds are going to be spread in the garden and some at the allotment. I have already chucked a load of flower seeds down and these are starting to come up too. I sowed calendula, tagetes, nigella, cosmos, foxglove, poppy, and whatever else I could find in my seed box.



We/I spend the days in the living room with the doors flung open so we can hear the birds. Our neighbours are quite quiet and the pub down the road is shut, so it is nice to just be able to sit.