Thursday 2 April 2020

Spring Marches On…


…And I cannot help myself from sowing more seeds!

On the allotment I have sown my salad crops. At home I have sown sunflower seeds for this years Sunflower Challenge (click to read more). I have also sown pumpkin seeds for home, the allotment, and for work – big orange buddies and also Crown Prince bluey-grey buddies. I am excited for crown prince as I enjoy veg that isn’t the colour it should be.

Three trays of sunflowers, a tray of loofah, a tray of salad seedlings, and a tray of pumpkins

Momma P has given me a tray of “spicy salad leaves” seedlings – some are green and some are purple – so I expect there is some rocket in it, but not sure what else. I will leave them to grow bigger and then plant them out in clumps in my new raised beds at the house.

I have also started 9 loofah seedlings!! I wanted to do this with each of my volunteer groups as a challenge to see which site could grow the best loofah but as things have changed rather drastically, I’m not sure how much of a growing season we are going to get at the sites. All of the seed trays are now on a tarp in our second bedroom, with two trays on the windowsill.

Some of the work courgettes on my windowsill. These will need potting on soon as some have two to a pot!

I am now furloughed until the start of June so I have plenty of time to get on with, well, life. Lots of plans for allotment days, crochet days, computer playing days, and maybe some exercise. We have finally invested in Netflix so I also anticipate a Lord Of The Rings marathon when David isn't here...

I will need routine while I am off. It is so weird as I’ve just had 10 days off work as annual leave, and now I’m off for maybe another two months – I’ve only had five days back at work! It’s going to be even harder to get back into the swing of things in two months time. So, for routine I have downloaded lots of 30-day exercise challenges. I will start on Saturday and hopefully keep doing them for the 30 days. I need to do something; my back and hips are so sore and stiff from being sat on the sofa for a week while I was off. I am also going to hula again – I have only hooped once since moving to the new house so I am going to start this again.

While I am off, I am also going to finish the last couple of raised beds for the new house. They went into standby mode as I waited for more paint to arrive but it has now come, so I am just waiting for a dry day to paint the timber! Then I can line it and fill it – we’ve saved all the paper recycling and veg scraps from the kitchen to chuck in the beds to bulk them out before I top-dress with fresh compost. I have decided to put one of the square beds out the front near the front door and maybe fix some trellis to it, and then plant sunflowers and beans. The front is south facing, and it’ll also brighten up the driveway.


This is my 200th blog post! My first post was way back in February 2016 and I documented a wee little trip I took to Charmouth by myself.