Tuesday 22 January 2019

Lickey Quartzite Walls


This is a very nerdy post – if you don’t like geology or care for walls, I don’t mind if you skip over this one!


Cofton Hackett Wall. Nice big chunks of quartizite.

The Lickey Hills in S Birmingham are made up of a ridge of quartzite. This is a sedimentary rock as opposed to metamorphic, and was laid down in the Cambrian-Ordovician periods when this part of the UK was a) not attached to Scotland, and b) approximately where Australia is now (south of the equator). Despite being a marine rock there are not many fossils in this stone.

Locally this rock was used as roadstone (each parish was responsible for making and maintaining their roads). There are a number of disused quarries around the Lickey Hills. When the Frankley and Bartley Green reservoirs were being constructed, the Halesowen-Rubery railway was extended to the building site. During works there was a slope failure (I think in Bartley Res), and quartzite was extracted from Cock Hill Quarry, chucked on the train, taken to the reservoir, and used to shore up the collapse area - I know this because I once had a lovely chat with a bemused man from Severn Trent water about it all. See, nerd.

The stone has also been used locally for walls, and I have been on an unofficial lowkey mission to document these walls whenever I see them. So far I have found a few close to the Lickeys; a couple in Rubery, one by Cofton Hackett, and one long retaining wall in Rednal. I have also found some further afield; Northfield has quite a lot down by the library, and my most recent find is on Bournville Lane by Cadburys!

Bournville Lane nr the railway station. This verge also has massive boulders dropped by the glaciers!

As I build up my collection of photographs of walls (the finance manager at my new job was quite taken aback when I said I needed to take a photo…) I plan to map them. There isn’t really a real reason for this, except the local importance of this stone as a building material. Local history is all too easily erased!

More information about the geology of the Lickeys can be read here: the Lickey Hills Geo-Champions group work to look after the quarries.

Two more walls were tweeted about a while ago;



There is another quartzite wall in Northfield - part of it can be seen by the steps up to the library and the other is in the front garden of the house next door.



The map so far. Only four sites have photos.