Saturday 26 January 2019

New Year, Who Dis?


There is change afoot. I treated myself to new bed linen and now feel like I can conquer the world. My phone contract finished so I’ve had a new phone (it is very swish and doesn’t fit in any of my pockets), I am three weeks into my new job (still absolutely fully lovin’ it), and I have wild plans for a new hairstyle soon (aka, just getting it cut and tidied – nothing too drastic, though I do really, really, REALLY, hate having brown hair so it might be going red soon…..)



This year is a year of good, strong, happy, positive change. All I’ve wanted career-wise for the last three years was a full time, permanent job. Every day I am discovering new gems in my home city that I’ll be working in or with, and I am SO excited. I keep saying it because it’s true and I can’t believe it. I now have two sites to run weekly volunteer sessions at, and both are blank canvasses for me to really make a difference. I have met lots of brilliant, fun, creative people and I look forward to working with them more. This job uses lots of other skills that I didn’t really use as a Ranger – I will be propagating herb cuttings soon to grow and then plant out in kitchen gardens. I’ll be teaching people how to live healthier lives, grow their own food, and cook healthy meals from scratch. So far I haven’t had to empty one dog poo bin!

Scarlet Elf Cup

I am planning to start a new crochet blanket project this year but I have told, and keep telling!, myself that I need to finish two blankets before I start another. So far it is working – I have nearly finished Cosmic CAL, and then I can focus on my other multiple-stitch blanket. The temperature blanket is an ongoing project and won’t be finished until this October, so when I finish Cosmic I can start working on a colour scheme for my new blanket (I love working out colour schemes and plotting, it is very satisfying to finally settle on the right palette).

This week I saw my first crocus of the year and I am so happy. Snowdrops to me are a winter flower, but crocus really means spring is about to well, spring. These crocus were so incredibly tiny small (1.5inches tall!) and I nearly trampled them. I planted some daffodil bulbs in a plant pot that santa got for me too. They were intended for the allotment but I haven’t yet gotten around to doing everything I need to do up there to prep for the bulbs to go in, so pots are the way forward for now.

Hanging 'Bra'skets, from Allens Cross Community Garden

I have started swimming again this week, and I am scouting around to find a yoga class. My back is still troublesome from all the sitting in the car, and my hips are starting to throb when I’ve been sat down for too long. Hurty At Thirty was definitely a true statement. But now! Now! Now I have a salary! And minimal commuting costs! And dare I say it – spare money once all the bills have gone out!!! Such a novelty. So I’m going to spend it on EXERCISE. 15 year old me would hate 30 year old me.  

So, third week of the new job and Having Time To Do Things™. What have I done this week? Nothing spectacular I’m afraid.
-          Went swimming again
-          Watched Transformers 1, 2, and 3
-          Stayed up ‘til 10pm. This is a minor miracle. Not having to be up to commute means I can sleep 11pm-7am, have a good long sleep, and still not be rushed to get to work. Lush.
-          Went shopping. Actually evening time clothes shopping. For waterproof overtrousers, but still IT COUNTS.

This week will see me attending a ‘do at the Birmingham Council House (ooooh), and starting to run volunteer days proper. I got one volunteer so far! Come and join me :)

One of my new volunteer sites offered me a free lunch so I had a roast beef dinner.