Thursday 11 April 2019

Allotment Life: Apple Tree


My wee little apple tree has been on Plot 31 for at least nine years. It was put at the front of the plot as there was a pre-dug hole there from the previous tenant – we think it was a pond but it was tiny and crap, so we put a tree in it!

This patch of the plot is always boggy and soggy, and over time the tree has gotten more and more horizontal, and this wasn’t helped by one of the limbs growing out to the side. It was effectively on the floor, but then I cut it off a little while ago to tidy it up. One of my grand plans for this tree was to get a decent tree stake, pull it up, and tie it – so we have!

It looks a lot better now. The stake came from Wickes (as this is now where I am bulk buying my timber and gravel boards from) and David helped to ram it in. The wee apple is now vertical, and I turned the clods over at the bottom before putting down some thick folded parcel packaging paper, and two sacks of 20mm gravel. The paper and gravel will act as both a weed suppressant and a mulch, but it also just looks a lot tidier.

Before....
...After!