Monday 22 April 2019

Five Day Weekend: Day Four


Another day up… you guessed it – the allotment!

Momma P and I tried to beat the heat today without much success. Momma mowed a bit and I dug a bit and then we went home. I have finally decided what to do with an abandoned bed – I dug it over, weeded, and then planted a Japanese Wineberry in it. This should spread and take over the bed, and I am going to get some new raspberry canes to plant in it too. This will give me two raspberry beds. There was a large raspberry in this bed before but I chopped it all the way down last year. I wasn’t sure that it’d survive such a brutal hacking, but it is springing back to life, so all is not lost.

Japanese Wineberry 

My brutal hack-job on the raspberry

A little while ago I bought a comically undersized shopping basket from The Range, mainly because I like silly things and this amused me more than it ever should. I have finally (!) decided to use it for allotment things, alongside my two trug baskets. The CUB (comically undersized basket) has been used to bring back a mix of salad leaves and herbs, and has the benefit of being holey which means we can wash produce in the basket and hang it to drip dry before we use the harvest. Good, eh? Every allotment should have some CUBs.



In all of the excitement of my carrot seeds growing and now putting out their first set of true leaves, and possibly due to yesterdays pizza, I split my shorts on the thigh. With my new air vent I proceeded to do some weeding - I was planning on cutting down and removing last years sprouts as they have bolted – but then I heard a bee. And I looked. And I saw a bee. Then another. Then I realised that they were female hairy footed flower bees!

It has been a good weekend for solitary bees and I am happy

Back home I have started my second six-month temperature blanket. Already after five days it has more colour variation than the whole of my first six-month blanket! Momma P has fixed my shorts but I think when I have demolished the droppings from the Easter Bunny (I did quite well this year), I shall be going on a diet!