Tuesday 23 April 2019

Five Day Weekend: Day Five


The last day of my long Easter break (five whole days off work!!) was again spent partially up at Plot 31. I wanted to have a good bash at getting jobs done up there while the weather is favourable, as I know I don’t have much time to be up there now. My allotment time is mostly relegated to weekends for big jobs, and evenings for just pottering around and watering.

I elected to cut the grass underneath the fruit bushes to tidy them up and get rid of nettles, brambles and ivy. My shears are in need of a good sharpening (all three pairs!) so I ended up ripping the grass out by hand. I then laid down some old tarp and ripped hessian around the bottoms to act as a weed suppressing layer.


I then decided I was going to empty the shed and tidy it. I found a new rat hole in it last week, next to the previous, boarded up, rat hole. I had found evidence of rodents nesting in the pile of hessian (read about that in a previous blog post), so I knew there was some poop that needed cleaning up. I emptied the shed, swept it all out, and then Momma P appeared! So I set her to work, putting together a shelving unit. It is actually a seedling growing unit but for now it is a table.

Before.....

..... During.....

.... After!
The shed is now a lot tidier and you can actually get in it, and I know what is in there and where it all is – so another big job has been ticked off the list! It was a scorcher of a day so we retired to a shop to buy more gravel boards, then spent some time at home painting.

Next on the to-do list is to finish the compost bin overhaul (it looks AMAZING and it’s only a third done – I am SO excited and so happy that David likes to build stuff). I can then focus on building a brassica cage and getting the plants in.

Apple blossom

Dark Edged Bee-Fly. Bombylius major

I have also been busy making squares for my latest blanket. I need to go yarn shopping (oh no, what a shame) as I need more Parchment for doing the edging. 


Back to work for nine days before the next long bank holiday weekend...