Friday 23 November 2018

A Day Out to Bridgnorth

Somehow David and I have managed to co-ordinate a day off together, so we spent a chilly and wet few hours mooching around Bridgnorth!

I have a map on Google Maps onto which I drop pins of almost everywhere that David and I go. Each thing has a colour coded icon, and now when we plan holidays we tend to consult the map and see where the gaps are – and then we start filling them!

We / I  eat a lot.

Despite the cold weather, I had two scarves on and my chunky woollen hat so I was quite toasty, we had a good day walking around. Personal highlight for me was the funicular!! I love funny quirky things, and I love funicular railways. They are SO COOL. So clever. It cost us £1.60 each, return, for a journey that took maybe 15 seconds each way, and it was totally worth it.





Bridgnorth is a geological mecca for me – all that desert dune bedded sandstone everywhere – and I couldn’t stop taking pictures of walls. I also found a small hole in a block on the bridge where it has eroded so much. On the riverbank is the biggest ginkgo tree I have EVER seen – another one of my loves – so I collected loads of leaves for an experiment I’m going to try (return later for the blog post).

Artsy, innit.

Highlights for David were probably the topiary’s in the grounds of Bridgnorth Castle ruins. Three shapes had been cut in time for the Remembrance Ceremony for the Centenary of the end of WW1. There was a spitfire aeroplane, a warship, and a tank. So cleverly done, and the knitted and crochet poppies on the fences were beautiful too.