Thursday 8 November 2018

Walking Adventures; Cannock Chase


David and I like going walking. We have walked a lot, we have walked in a lot of places across the country, we have walked through lots of areas, and generally our walks don’t end in disaster (except that time I slipped on snow and ended up in some mud).

Walking helps me with my anxiety and it helps me to refocus my mind and to just be. I like the rhythm of my feet on the floor, the crunching of leaves, and watching wildlife. Our most recent walk on part of Cannock Chase yielded a sighting of five fallow deer!

The colours of the trees at this time of year are hugely comforting and soft, yet ablaze in yellows, oranges and reds. Some of the purple heather is just starting to flower, the grass is still green, and the sky is often blue… My creative soul loves it. Such inspiration abounds, and being able to bounce ideas off David and get his feedback is invaluable.

I love our walks, not just because we often end up back in the nice little café (or the chainsaw shop). I love being outside with David and spending time with him. I love not being restricted to my house, or to my worksite, or the allotment. I love exploring new areas and reading the world with him. He has taught me a lot about tracking animals and looking for other signs of them. We look at a lot of poo when we walk.

Self care sometimes doesn’t mean lighting a candle and having a bath with a facemask on. Self care is sometimes going for a walk, getting sweaty and smelly, tromping through mud, and seeing deer. Being outside in nature is great for us anxious souls. It helps to soothe and calm us, and in my case it offers so much inspiration for projects and colour schemes.

Living where I do makes it very easy to be in a good walking spot within an hour, but I just don’t do it often enough.





Deer!