Tuesday 6 November 2018

Crochet Blanket Inspiration; Drop in the Pond


I love making blankets. They are simple yet complex; they can be put down for years and then carried on when you feel like it, they can be taken pretty much anywhere when they’re little and pretty much everyone likes getting a blanket as a gift. If you ever want to make something but aren’t sure what, casting on a blanket is always a Good Thing.

I use blanket making as therapy, to challenge myself, and also to learn new stitches. I have a scraps granny square blanket Work In Progress (WIP), a multi-coloured, multi-stitched, tension-all-over-the-place, wonky-stitch-count WIP, a Cosmic CAL WIP, and a 30th birthday celebration temperature blanket WIP.

Over the last six years or so that I’ve been crocheting I have made a multitude of blankets. I tend to make double bed sized as that’s the bed I have and I like to cover it. I’ve made one single bed sized blanket, and a few baby blankets.

I have decided to share some of my blankets and hopefully they will inspire you to pick up a hook and cast one on yourself. The stitch and colour combinations are endless, and the result is always something cosy.

The first blanket I’m going to share is my Drop In The Pond blanket, which I actually reverse engineered from a photo I’d seen. I made it big enough to cover the bed comfortably, and I used (as usual) a 4mm hook, and Stylecraft Special DK acrylic yarn. I used granny stitch throughout.

The pattern for this can be found here on Ravelry.


Drop in the pond; also a view of my yarn stash & plant collection