Wednesday 21 November 2018

Crochet Blanket Inspiration; Multi-Stitch Blanket

This blanket is wonky, colourful, clashing, weird, random, soft, cosy, nowhere near finished, an adventure, and a lot of fun!

I started this blanket to learn new stitches, to practice stitches and techniques I already knew, and to see first-hand how different stitches and patterns affect tension and stitch count. I am not very methodical at crochet, I like throwing caution to the wind and fudging it to make it work. I like experimenting and picking colours without thinking if they clash or look silly together. The aim of this blanket is to not conform to a plan, and to see where it takes me.

So far, the blanket is very wonky. The edges are all over the place, the stitch count varies wildly per row (the best one I had so far was 144 stitches short. The whole starting foundation row is only 217 stitches…) – I try to not let it get that bad now! I have repeated rows that I wanted to practice and I have even attempted broomstick lace which required the use of a 6ft curtain pole to hold the loops on – not easy.

This blanket is approx. double bed sized (see previous comment about stitch count, tension & wonky edges!) and I haven’t been sewing in ends as I go, so that’s something else to look forward too. I think I started this blanket a couple of years ago and only really add to it when I want to learn a new stitch. It is not a regular WIP.

I am using a 4mm hook and Stylecraft Special DK, as usual. The colour range of this yarn is FAB. Stitches vary wildly. I have used (UK terms): DC, HTR, TR, DTR, Shell Stitch, Bobble, Popcorn, Catherine Wheel, Dragon Scale Stitch, Broomstick Lace, Granny Stitch, Spike Stitch, Buillion, Tulip Stitch, WaveStitch, Star Stitch, Chevron… and who knows what else I’ll use. Click on the words to be taken to tutorials for those stitches.


The row of hot pink broomstick lace really badly affected stitch count and tension!
You can read about my other blankets too!