Saturday 2 February 2019

Allotment Life: January 2019


It’s been a quiet month at Plot 31. The beds were all covered before the festive season so I haven’t had any digging to do. It’s been very cold so I couldn’t dig even if I wanted too! The ground is frozen solid.

Some bulbs are pushing through, the blackcurrant is covered in buds, and the herb bed is still a mess. The sprouts are tiny small but starting to explode; the hot summer last year wasn’t kind to them.

I have done my first big allotment shop of the year – managed to spend about £150 in Wickes and another £50 in Wilkos – but I now have lots of gravel boards for raised beds, paint to paint them, hinges for the shed door, and the first batch of paving slabs to put down by the shed. I have also started my end of February shopping list. I want more paving slabs, sand to bed them down, and some chicken poop.

Compost bins are also in a bit of a state.