Tuesday 12 February 2019

Allotment Life: A Sunny February Day


I spent a happy few hours in the freezing cold but glorious sunshine, pottering around doing bits and pieces. Momma P has decided she doesn’t want the purple pansy boards that I had been painting, so we bought new wood and new paint and hers are now going to be willow green. I learned that I can fit 6 gravel boards in my little car, so I ferried some up to the plot, painted the other sides of them, fed the fox, fed the birds, and then went home to get the next lot of wood.


Probably not even twenty minutes later I was back at the allotment with the wood. The fox had been and licked her plate clean – 50p dog food must be yummy – and in the process of sorting out the shed I discovered that a something had been having a party in the bird seed. A large hole in the bag, seed EVERYWHERE, and some little poops too. I started sweeping up, and then I uncovered some bits of hessian sacking. I keep hessian in my shed as It Might Come In Useful ™. Well I guess for this wee rodent it came in very useful; I found two entrances to nests in the bundle! I pulled it all out so I could tidy up the bits and then I found a shed spider or two, so I decided I had done enough tidying. The loose seed and hessian bits went out under the plum tree, and the remains of one of the sacks went behind the compost bin for something to use as nest material.


I have been testing my new phone and its camera – I am in love – I set up a bench about 5m away from the plum tree with the feeders in, and I saw three great tits, two blue tits, two robins, and a dunnock. Then! I was just sat enjoying the sun and an egret flew over!!

Great Tit and a Dunnock butt

Robin and two Great Tits (snigger)

Blue Tit

David then appeared and we did another jaunt home to bring up the paving slabs and the rest of the timber, so I still have loads to do. More wood to paint, slabs to install, and then raised beds needs to be built. I have also done all the hinges on the shed doors so it looks like Fort Knox, but I am glad that it now all matches. They do look good, and were only £1.50 each.


I really want to start digging out around my fruit bushes before they start to grow. I want to clear the grass, dig a trough around them, lay newspaper or card down, then build a frame of bricks or timber and fill it with aggregate. I need to stop the grass and brambles growing up around the fruit bushes, but I can’t do any digging yet as the ground is solid.

A very successful day in the sunshine. I feel like I accomplished quite a lot, but I have infact just added even more things to the to do list!