Wednesday 13 February 2019

London: Day One


As part of my new job I had six days annual leave to use up before the end of the financial year so this week I am off work! David and I have managed to synchronise our days off, so we went down to the Big Smoke for a mini break. We went on the train cuz it was hella cheaper than parking the car in Canary Wharf for 48 hours (seriously - £15 cheaper on the train and it was only £40 on the train!!).


Ok, so really we went because last year sometime my best buddy bought us, as well as him and his wife, tickets for a show. Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem, acoustic, solo, in a church.  Beaut!! Didn’t want to miss this.

David and I went down on Saturday morning to maximise our time in London. By some kind of sheer dumb luck I managed to pick a hotel which has a granite façade, fossils in the foyer, and a marble and gneiss lined bathroom. Geologists, eh. Can’t take them anywhere.



I also managed to book a hotel with a long bath!! I do like having a soak in a hot bubble bath. Whilst in the bath I like to send seductive selfies to both my fiancé and a friend of mine (no shame). An example of such a selfie is below: ladies – please don’t be jealous of my amazingly effective come hither eyes…


Just kidding. I couldn’t do a seductive selfie if I tried (and I wouldn’t post it here (hi, mom!)).

The venue was beautiful; a church which is used as a church, but in the evening becomes a beautiful acoustic gig venue. Clara and I had hot chocolate with mini mallows AND cream (this is extra luxurious because I don’t actually particularly like hot chocolate, but I really fancied one, so I indulged and it was GOOD). Kyle and I had a little cry as we tend to do at Brian gigs, and Dave bless him doesn’t really know any of his music so just sat there while I wept.





On the way back to the tube we dropped into a paper shop and I discovered white Twix bars that I’d seen advertised, so I helped myself. So many good things in one small day! Truly a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. I took a selfie with said Twix but was too excited when I ate it so no pics of the actual bar, but ya know, it was a Twix with white chocolate, and it tasted just like a Twix. No surprises.


And so, back to the hotel for some fossil hunting before bed…

Osyter shell

And here's a vid I took of Brian Fallon: