Friday 15 February 2019

London: Day Three


Our last half-day in LDN. Our train home was at lunchtime, so we didn’t have any major plans for day three. At breakfast we had the excitement of seeing two Great Crested Grebes in the dock in the middle of Canary Wharf!!! No one else noticed or cared, but I was very excited.


The walk back to Canary Wharf tube was quite bewildering. For all the money in CW, you’d think they could afford a) proper grass, and b) someone to maintain it. But no; astro turf everywhere. The mind boggles.


We got up to Baker St and found a little café to sit in for a while, and another friend of mine came to meet us. It is the first time we have seen him since we were last in LDN for his wedding, two years ago!

I have really enjoyed being back in London - I love it in small doses, and I’d love to come back for another mini break and explore a different part. I want to stand on the Prime Meridian line at Greenwich because I am a nerd, and I want to explore varying parks. I also really like the tiled artwork in the tube stations.



So at the end of three days we have added new things to Our Map, and I have grand plans for more visits. However, London is just so expensive – we got Oyster cards and spent £33 on public transport between midday Saturday and midday Monday. When you’re on a budget to start with it can be quite restrictive as we just couldn’t afford to top up the cards and venture beyond zone two.

Still, we had fun and it was nice to get away and spend time with David. I even ate actual tomatoes with the seeds in on my pizza, so it must’ve been good.